New Year's Resolutions



In all, I'd say 2013 was a spectacular year. The past few days I've spent writing down 100 of the greatest (for better or for worse) moments of the year. I'm sure there's a lot that I've missed, and I'll think of them in the days to come, but for now I'm very happy with all the memories that 2013 holds.

I was never much into new year's resolutions until about last year. And I think this goes back to my partiality for odd numbers. I was never impressed with the sound of 2012. But when I woke up on January 1, 2013, I could not contain my excitement. 2013: a fresh new start in what would have to be a wonderful year. I mean, it was an odd number with 13 (one of my favorite odd numbers), after all. I started making plans right away.

So I did what I do best: I made a list. I wrote down academic goals and health goals. I made a list of all the things I would do for my blog on a daily basis. I outlined a brand new budget to stick to, how I'd spend my free time, what I'd accomplish in my workouts, even my morning routine. It was my ideal lifestyle (for a sophomore in college, anyway). And my commitment to that long list of things was my new year's resolution. In 2013, I would stick to the plan. The plan of productivity, non-laziness and everlasting good behavior.

But as I look back at this list, one year later, I realize I have accomplished very little on this list. I'm proud of the progress I've made, but I haven't hit my ideal levels. And some of the stuff on my list were things I really didn't want to do in the first place but thought I should do anyway.

I don't regret making this list. I think it is rather healthy and refreshing to sit down for a good amount of time and reflect on your ideals, wishes, fantasies. I'll always keep them in mind, and I think my new year's reflection did help me in how I approached everything that went down in 2013.

For 2014, I'm doing something a little different. In these next few days I'll definitely be revisiting my ideals. But I do want to make new year's resolutions that I know I can achieve in the next 365 days. That doesn't mean my resolutions won't be a challenge--it means they will be possible. This year, I am resolving to make five changes in my life. These changes will help me in my journey to realize my ideals and will help me become remarkably different from and more improved than my 2013 self.

So, a toast to my five New Year's Resolutions!



Happy New Year, everyone. What are your resolutions?

Labels: , , ,

/* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Resolutions



In all, I'd say 2013 was a spectacular year. The past few days I've spent writing down 100 of the greatest (for better or for worse) moments of the year. I'm sure there's a lot that I've missed, and I'll think of them in the days to come, but for now I'm very happy with all the memories that 2013 holds.

I was never much into new year's resolutions until about last year. And I think this goes back to my partiality for odd numbers. I was never impressed with the sound of 2012. But when I woke up on January 1, 2013, I could not contain my excitement. 2013: a fresh new start in what would have to be a wonderful year. I mean, it was an odd number with 13 (one of my favorite odd numbers), after all. I started making plans right away.

So I did what I do best: I made a list. I wrote down academic goals and health goals. I made a list of all the things I would do for my blog on a daily basis. I outlined a brand new budget to stick to, how I'd spend my free time, what I'd accomplish in my workouts, even my morning routine. It was my ideal lifestyle (for a sophomore in college, anyway). And my commitment to that long list of things was my new year's resolution. In 2013, I would stick to the plan. The plan of productivity, non-laziness and everlasting good behavior.

But as I look back at this list, one year later, I realize I have accomplished very little on this list. I'm proud of the progress I've made, but I haven't hit my ideal levels. And some of the stuff on my list were things I really didn't want to do in the first place but thought I should do anyway.

I don't regret making this list. I think it is rather healthy and refreshing to sit down for a good amount of time and reflect on your ideals, wishes, fantasies. I'll always keep them in mind, and I think my new year's reflection did help me in how I approached everything that went down in 2013.

For 2014, I'm doing something a little different. In these next few days I'll definitely be revisiting my ideals. But I do want to make new year's resolutions that I know I can achieve in the next 365 days. That doesn't mean my resolutions won't be a challenge--it means they will be possible. This year, I am resolving to make five changes in my life. These changes will help me in my journey to realize my ideals and will help me become remarkably different from and more improved than my 2013 self.

So, a toast to my five New Year's Resolutions!



Happy New Year, everyone. What are your resolutions?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home