Well, it's already mid-October and we are in full-swing midterm season here at Yale. We are just days away from October break, which of course gets us thinking about the Harvard-Yale game and Thanksgiving break just a few weeks away, and then winter vacation two weeks after that. (But actually, my roommate and I were just discussing Christmas tree decorating). Before you know it fall semester is done and we are getting married and moving into retirement homes.
There's something about loads of work that make us all mentally time travel and look forward to better times--the weekend, the holidays, that full night of sleep that will happen sooner or later.
Meanwhile I'm totally blown away that we've already hit the half-way point with October. We haven't even put up our black and orange streamers in the common room! Also, Reginald "Reggie" MacDuff, the ghost we put up on our door, has fallen from his post and we haven't gotten around to putting him up again. Maybe today's the day.
In other news...
- My roommate and I are hosting our first soirée of the year. It will be "Witch and Wizard" themed and will take place on a Thursday night.
- It is taking place on a Thursday night because I happen to work on Friday and Saturday nights, in my college dining hall.
- My new job is pretty awesome (even though after 4 weeks of work I still haven't been paid...) and I am so glad to get to know the dining hall staff better! Feeding hundreds of hungry college students every day is seriously hard work.
- Because I work Saturday nights, I got a special behind-the-scenes look at our very special Inaugural Dinner. This past week was one grand celebration after another in marking the inauguration of Yale's 23rd President, Peter Salovey. Silliman College had a very special menu planned for all the students (date and goat cheese salad! macaroons! egg nog!), and while I was working the whole time and technically not allowed to eat on the job, I got to sneak a few bites.
- My official contribution to this grand fête was checking IDs and putting wristbands on students who are allowed to drink champagne. I am now a master at putting on those sticky non-removable wristbands.
- And because I was working most of the night, I wasn't able to attend the first few hours of the Inaugural Ball. This honestly didn't bother me that much because I don't really do crazy dances in overpacked tents anyway. However, I did have quite a few "Cinderella" moments when people in the dining hall kept asking me if I was "going to the Ball" and I had to say "no, I'm working late."
- Because I have this new job and because it is birthday season in my household, I seem to be much more lax about online shopping. I believe I have about 4 separate shippings to my house--though I promise they are not all for me! I also promise--I only bought half off sale items.
- My favorite purchase has to be some fall candles from Bath and Body Works -- I can't get over how wonderful Blackberry Spice smells. My roommate bought one over the summer and we just started burning it today.
- I now have to get back to studying, paper writing and Kappa things.
- But before I go, I share with you some fairly clever Halloween costume ideas. I really like the Candy Crush one.