on the road to running




{source


I mentioned in my last post that I'd like to get into running, and seeing as running a 5k is in my 30 Before 30 list, I think now is as good a time as ever to start in on this new adventure. I'm quite excited.

As someone who really can't last on the treadmill that long, this will definitely be a long-term goal with many ups and downs along the way. I imagine successes and lapses, rushes of adrenaline and out-of-breath aches. I imagine myself always being one day closer to my goal.

Why running? It's simply something I'd like to be able to do. It also makes you healthier (in so many ways!), helps relieve stress and makes you feel happy inside. Running is something that doesn't require particularly special equipment--anywhere I go, anywhere I travel, I'll be able to run.

So I think one of the best ways to motivate yourself is to think about your end result. For me, it's being able to take on a 5k. Right now, I am waiting for my breakfast date in the dining hall, but I am picturing myself crossing that finish line--actually, many finish lines. Sometimes the finish line is in some small town in New England on a crisp fall day, other times it's in some big city with skyscrapers and taxis all around me.

I really do hope this is the beginning of a lifelong hobby. Who knows? But here are some pretty cool running events that I would love to participate in one day.

Electric Run. A nighttime run with dancing lights and blasting music. That should really keep the energy up!

Disney Princess Half-Marathon and the Tinker Bell Half-Marathon. So much Disney spirit! With these events, you can run around the Disney's Magic Kingdom, get high-fives from Mickey and not be judged for wearing a tutu.

The Jingle Bell Run. Okay, let's be honest. You can get me to do almost anything if it is holiday themed.

The Color Run. This would be a great beginner's 5k. The run celebrates "healthiness, happiness and individuality" and with each kilometer you complete you are doused in a different color paint. So fun!

The Hot Chocolate 15/5K. You had me at "chocolate." This would be wonderful to do during the fall.

I'm so pumped for everything ahead.

Do you run? What's your favorite thing about it?

Thanks for reading. Have a wonderful weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

/* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Friday, September 20, 2013

on the road to running




{source


I mentioned in my last post that I'd like to get into running, and seeing as running a 5k is in my 30 Before 30 list, I think now is as good a time as ever to start in on this new adventure. I'm quite excited.

As someone who really can't last on the treadmill that long, this will definitely be a long-term goal with many ups and downs along the way. I imagine successes and lapses, rushes of adrenaline and out-of-breath aches. I imagine myself always being one day closer to my goal.

Why running? It's simply something I'd like to be able to do. It also makes you healthier (in so many ways!), helps relieve stress and makes you feel happy inside. Running is something that doesn't require particularly special equipment--anywhere I go, anywhere I travel, I'll be able to run.

So I think one of the best ways to motivate yourself is to think about your end result. For me, it's being able to take on a 5k. Right now, I am waiting for my breakfast date in the dining hall, but I am picturing myself crossing that finish line--actually, many finish lines. Sometimes the finish line is in some small town in New England on a crisp fall day, other times it's in some big city with skyscrapers and taxis all around me.

I really do hope this is the beginning of a lifelong hobby. Who knows? But here are some pretty cool running events that I would love to participate in one day.

Electric Run. A nighttime run with dancing lights and blasting music. That should really keep the energy up!

Disney Princess Half-Marathon and the Tinker Bell Half-Marathon. So much Disney spirit! With these events, you can run around the Disney's Magic Kingdom, get high-fives from Mickey and not be judged for wearing a tutu.

The Jingle Bell Run. Okay, let's be honest. You can get me to do almost anything if it is holiday themed.

The Color Run. This would be a great beginner's 5k. The run celebrates "healthiness, happiness and individuality" and with each kilometer you complete you are doused in a different color paint. So fun!

The Hot Chocolate 15/5K. You had me at "chocolate." This would be wonderful to do during the fall.

I'm so pumped for everything ahead.

Do you run? What's your favorite thing about it?

Thanks for reading. Have a wonderful weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM , Blogger Angie said...

I'm sort of trying to get into the running thing as well. I don't love to run, but I'm really trying to incorporate it into my workouts. It's definitely tough, but I like to think of it as a motivation to be more active and stay fit. I'm doing my first 5k this month so finishing that will be a huge life accomplishment. You should try a 5k sometime! They have tons of fun ones nowadays.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home