signs of summer.
I don't know about you, but where I live, summer's been off to a pretty slow start. We've had stretches of days where it's cold and rainy and I find myself pulling on an extra-thick pair of socks and craving a mug of hot chocolate.
A few days so far the weather's been nice. Comfortable enough to walk outside without a jacket but never hot. Not hot enough to bring out the fans during the night. Not sunny enough for Harry the dog to prefer outside sleeping over inside. Not humid and sticky enough for me to curse myself for not keeping Purell in my bag.
And then Shutterfly sent me their Summer Decorating Inspiration Board. And I have to say, it was a nice reminder that sometimes mother nature doesn't have to always call the shots. Adding a touch of summery color--like greens, oranges and crisp whites--can make all the difference. Check it out:
Kind of craving that iced tea.
So today, with the promise of morning and late afternoon thunderstorms, cold wind and some flash floods, I decided today would be a good day to chill out at home and take a page out of Shutterfly's book. There are so many signs of summer around the house and I wanted to take a second to really appreciate them...
- our giant bowl of fruit in the kitchen. I've been making strawberry, blueberry and banana smoothies almost daily. (sometimes adding in a bit of coconut milk, too!)
- the smell of Bath and Body Works beach themed candles. I have them constantly burning.
- the wall vase (what are they called?) that's always occupied by fresh garden flowers
- the sound of flip flops around the house
- the smell of fresh corn on the grill
Even if the weather doesn't fully have it's act together, my house is slowly and surely making its transition into summer.
What are you doing to keep in a summery mood? Any more home decoration tips?