"that's all, folks!"


one last hammock chat with my roommate. 
taken just an hour after my last final. 

So, living on the fifth floor this year has had its ups and downs. I'm exhausted once I reach the fifth floor. No one wanted to visit our suite. In fact, I didn't even want to visit my own suite.

But then again I also got an amazing leg workout each day. It was relatively quiet on our floor. And passing all the other rooms on our way up, I met some cool people. I smiled at the cleaning lady whenever I passed by, I shared exhausted walking-up-to-the-fifth/sixth-floor faces with the guys across the hall and the guys upstairs.

And because students keep their doors cracked open, we can't help but get to know everyone's regimens and quirks. There's the girl who seems to ALWAYS be at her desk typing up some paper, no matter what time of day. There's the room on the first floor with all the fancy paintings. There's the suite that always wrote some song of the day or song lyric on the white board outside the door.

The song titles and lyrics were usually pretty random--or, at least, I wasn't in on the inside joke. And sometimes they were superbly appropriate. For instance, after one of Yale's Safety Dance, a dance notoriously known for sending at least a handful to the hospital with alcohol-related injuries, the song of the day the morning after was Taio Cruz's "Hangover" (which is an awesome essay-writing song when you're not feeling too enthusiastic or inspired, just btdubs).

But Tuesday, the last day of finals, the eve of move-out day, the white board said "That's all, folks!" Being the super nostalgic person I am, I smiled to myself whenever I passed by on my way up or down to my room.

It's been an amazing year. I took such inspiring and thought-provoking classes, I wrote really cool essays, and I got to know some talented and accomplished professors. It was a blast just running around campus with my friends, going on late-night food runs, belting out Kappa songs, lying out on the hammocks and meeting new people.

I am in such shock that it's already been two years. I know the next two will be filled with just as many unpredictable, enlightening, one-of-a-kind moments. Moments when I can't stop laughing, when I can't help but cry...moments that I know I'll want to treasurer forever, moments that simply go by way too fast.

Yale, once again I have fallen in love with you. I will miss you this summer--tons. Fifth floor, I believe our love-hate relationship is ending on a positive note. I will miss you, too--in some weird way. Friends, it will be a few months but I know once we all move back in the fall we'll pick up right where we left off. I'll see you then.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

/* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, May 9, 2013

"that's all, folks!"


one last hammock chat with my roommate. 
taken just an hour after my last final. 

So, living on the fifth floor this year has had its ups and downs. I'm exhausted once I reach the fifth floor. No one wanted to visit our suite. In fact, I didn't even want to visit my own suite.

But then again I also got an amazing leg workout each day. It was relatively quiet on our floor. And passing all the other rooms on our way up, I met some cool people. I smiled at the cleaning lady whenever I passed by, I shared exhausted walking-up-to-the-fifth/sixth-floor faces with the guys across the hall and the guys upstairs.

And because students keep their doors cracked open, we can't help but get to know everyone's regimens and quirks. There's the girl who seems to ALWAYS be at her desk typing up some paper, no matter what time of day. There's the room on the first floor with all the fancy paintings. There's the suite that always wrote some song of the day or song lyric on the white board outside the door.

The song titles and lyrics were usually pretty random--or, at least, I wasn't in on the inside joke. And sometimes they were superbly appropriate. For instance, after one of Yale's Safety Dance, a dance notoriously known for sending at least a handful to the hospital with alcohol-related injuries, the song of the day the morning after was Taio Cruz's "Hangover" (which is an awesome essay-writing song when you're not feeling too enthusiastic or inspired, just btdubs).

But Tuesday, the last day of finals, the eve of move-out day, the white board said "That's all, folks!" Being the super nostalgic person I am, I smiled to myself whenever I passed by on my way up or down to my room.

It's been an amazing year. I took such inspiring and thought-provoking classes, I wrote really cool essays, and I got to know some talented and accomplished professors. It was a blast just running around campus with my friends, going on late-night food runs, belting out Kappa songs, lying out on the hammocks and meeting new people.

I am in such shock that it's already been two years. I know the next two will be filled with just as many unpredictable, enlightening, one-of-a-kind moments. Moments when I can't stop laughing, when I can't help but cry...moments that I know I'll want to treasurer forever, moments that simply go by way too fast.

Yale, once again I have fallen in love with you. I will miss you this summer--tons. Fifth floor, I believe our love-hate relationship is ending on a positive note. I will miss you, too--in some weird way. Friends, it will be a few months but I know once we all move back in the fall we'll pick up right where we left off. I'll see you then.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Stephen Sluder said...

Congrats on another year in the books. Your Post is awesome. Sounds like lots of fun around the classes & studies.

Have a great summer, Slu

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home