2012, the year in review

I don't quite know how to describe 2012. It just kind of hit me, you know? Even thinking about this past semester, and all that's happened, I can't get my head around it.

In some ways 2012 was so, so good. It was one of the best years, I think, in terms of personal growth, my academic life and all the other amazing things that have happened. Unfortunately, 2012 was also one of the worst for my family. It was a series of ups and downs, and while everyone goes through ups and downs, I think we experienced it a bit more than we did in the past years. 2012 was an important year for us; I just wish I had been more prepared.

But now's the time to focus on the positives. I want to enter the new year with a peaceful mindset, thinking about the good things and not the bad things. so, I give you:

2012, the year in review

In January, I started my second semester at Yale, and read and absolutely loved The Hunger Games


In February, New Haven had a huge snowstorm, I drank the best hot chocolate of my life, my love for cultural anthropology grew, and I ate tons and tons of sushi. My anxiety over summer plans was put to rest as I was offered an internship right in my home town, so I'd be able to still see my family. I was also a bit MIA from the blog. :(

In March, I celebrated my 19th birthday, visited Harry Potter World and my grandparents in Florida, completed all of my reading for intro pscyh (such a win) and became a very proud Kappa.


In April, I managed to squeeze in a little extra time with my parents and brother, here and here, I prepared for my second round of college finals, learned about flow, and we finalized our rooming plans for next year (it was quite the ordeal). 

In May, I headed home, did nothing but watch Vampire Diaries for two weeks, finally got to reading some books for pure fun, saw a Dave Matthews concert, visited my parents' pre-babies neighborhood and became a complete photo-mom for my brother's last prom.


In June, I had my first finger printing in preparation for my internship, baked tons of lemon squares and mixed our new favorite sangria, changed up lots of things around the blog (like the banner and the name!), hopped on the bandwagon and read Fifty Shades (p.s. I still haven't been able to get myself to sit down and finish the second...), and basically slept downstairs all month because of the heat. 

In July, we spent the fourth up in beautiful Vermont, I cracked open my first lobster, had a fun day in the city, helped coach softball Monday nights, and always came home exhausted but happy from my internship. I also got in a lot of driving practice. :)





In August, I successfully finished my first Instagram photo-a-day, I finished up my internship (but not before being asked where babies come from!), I discovered my love for oysters (and deep-fried oreos) at the Jersey Shore, and I moved in for sophomore year at school.



In September, I ate lots of Wenzels, settled in to my third semester in college, and finally bought a mint green nail polish.



In October, I voted in my first-ever election, made it through a rather tough week of midterms, enjoyed Yale's first ever fall break, and survived hurricane sandy.



In November, I said goodbye to a very inspiring, strong woman in my life, spent some quality time with extended family and (more than in any other year) really took a moment to stop and think about how much I appreciate my family, our health and our strong bond.

In December, I finished off the semester (sans a couple final exams), experienced Christmas in the city, helped host our 11th annual Dahl family holiday party, baked cookies for Santa and am currently (at press time) awaiting the new year. plus, we finally found out if the Mayans were right about the end of the world.



2012, it's been real.

how was your year? what are you looking forward to in 2013?

Labels: , , , , ,

/* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012, the year in review

I don't quite know how to describe 2012. It just kind of hit me, you know? Even thinking about this past semester, and all that's happened, I can't get my head around it.

In some ways 2012 was so, so good. It was one of the best years, I think, in terms of personal growth, my academic life and all the other amazing things that have happened. Unfortunately, 2012 was also one of the worst for my family. It was a series of ups and downs, and while everyone goes through ups and downs, I think we experienced it a bit more than we did in the past years. 2012 was an important year for us; I just wish I had been more prepared.

But now's the time to focus on the positives. I want to enter the new year with a peaceful mindset, thinking about the good things and not the bad things. so, I give you:

2012, the year in review


In February, New Haven had a huge snowstorm, I drank the best hot chocolate of my life, my love for cultural anthropology grew, and I ate tons and tons of sushi. My anxiety over summer plans was put to rest as I was offered an internship right in my home town, so I'd be able to still see my family. I was also a bit MIA from the blog. :(

In March, I celebrated my 19th birthday, visited Harry Potter World and my grandparents in Florida, completed all of my reading for intro pscyh (such a win) and became a very proud Kappa.


In April, I managed to squeeze in a little extra time with my parents and brother, here and here, I prepared for my second round of college finals, learned about flow, and we finalized our rooming plans for next year (it was quite the ordeal). 

In May, I headed home, did nothing but watch Vampire Diaries for two weeks, finally got to reading some books for pure fun, saw a Dave Matthews concert, visited my parents' pre-babies neighborhood and became a complete photo-mom for my brother's last prom.


In June, I had my first finger printing in preparation for my internship, baked tons of lemon squares and mixed our new favorite sangria, changed up lots of things around the blog (like the banner and the name!), hopped on the bandwagon and read Fifty Shades (p.s. I still haven't been able to get myself to sit down and finish the second...), and basically slept downstairs all month because of the heat. 

In July, we spent the fourth up in beautiful Vermont, I cracked open my first lobster, had a fun day in the city, helped coach softball Monday nights, and always came home exhausted but happy from my internship. I also got in a lot of driving practice. :)





In August, I successfully finished my first Instagram photo-a-day, I finished up my internship (but not before being asked where babies come from!), I discovered my love for oysters (and deep-fried oreos) at the Jersey Shore, and I moved in for sophomore year at school.



In September, I ate lots of Wenzels, settled in to my third semester in college, and finally bought a mint green nail polish.



In October, I voted in my first-ever election, made it through a rather tough week of midterms, enjoyed Yale's first ever fall break, and survived hurricane sandy.



In November, I said goodbye to a very inspiring, strong woman in my life, spent some quality time with extended family and (more than in any other year) really took a moment to stop and think about how much I appreciate my family, our health and our strong bond.

In December, I finished off the semester (sans a couple final exams), experienced Christmas in the city, helped host our 11th annual Dahl family holiday party, baked cookies for Santa and am currently (at press time) awaiting the new year. plus, we finally found out if the Mayans were right about the end of the world.



2012, it's been real.

how was your year? what are you looking forward to in 2013?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home