My completely coherent and predictable taste in music

So I confess. I am not well-rounded in music at all. Name an artist/group--contemporary or not--and I probably couldn't tell you two things about them. My iTunes is hardly up to date (I rely mostly on YouTube and the radio for my musical needs) and my taste in music is far from sophisticated.

That being said, I still feel it necessary to let you know what I've been listening to lately.

Three words: Beethoven and Manilow.

Me, I go through these weird music/song cravings. If I find a new song that I just love, I'll listen to it on repeat for days. I'm not one to mix it up all the time. I get into my little ruts.

So I was a bit surprised when, while watching the Mets game a few nights ago, I had this insane wish to listen to Beethoven. And this is super weird because I was never a really big Beethoven fan. His music is great, beautiful and genius. But it was always ruined for me because in fourth grade I had this mini freak-out; my music teacher decided to tell us (a bit too descriptively) how Beethoven was abused by his father (which I just saw is totally not in Wikipedia) and had become deaf as a result. This story made me incredibly sad and anxious for some reason, so for a while I had a weird aversion to Beethoven's work.

But something must have been in those Shake Shack burgers that night because I came home after the game, grabbed my computer and spent a good hour on YouTube listening to piano covers of Beethoven's more famous pieces.

I get so mesmerized by the watching people play the piano. I've always wanted to learn.

Here are a few of my favorites...

Fifth Symphony (part of it, obviously)

Moonlight Sonata: Presto Agitato

Für Elise


And I can't end this post without giving a shout-out to Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You." Not that I've ever listened to another Barry Manilow song in my life...but this one's been stuck in my head for a while.



Happy Thursday!

Labels: , , ,

/* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, June 28, 2012

My completely coherent and predictable taste in music

So I confess. I am not well-rounded in music at all. Name an artist/group--contemporary or not--and I probably couldn't tell you two things about them. My iTunes is hardly up to date (I rely mostly on YouTube and the radio for my musical needs) and my taste in music is far from sophisticated.

That being said, I still feel it necessary to let you know what I've been listening to lately.

Three words: Beethoven and Manilow.

Me, I go through these weird music/song cravings. If I find a new song that I just love, I'll listen to it on repeat for days. I'm not one to mix it up all the time. I get into my little ruts.

So I was a bit surprised when, while watching the Mets game a few nights ago, I had this insane wish to listen to Beethoven. And this is super weird because I was never a really big Beethoven fan. His music is great, beautiful and genius. But it was always ruined for me because in fourth grade I had this mini freak-out; my music teacher decided to tell us (a bit too descriptively) how Beethoven was abused by his father (which I just saw is totally not in Wikipedia) and had become deaf as a result. This story made me incredibly sad and anxious for some reason, so for a while I had a weird aversion to Beethoven's work.

But something must have been in those Shake Shack burgers that night because I came home after the game, grabbed my computer and spent a good hour on YouTube listening to piano covers of Beethoven's more famous pieces.

I get so mesmerized by the watching people play the piano. I've always wanted to learn.

Here are a few of my favorites...

Fifth Symphony (part of it, obviously)

Moonlight Sonata: Presto Agitato

Für Elise


And I can't end this post without giving a shout-out to Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You." Not that I've ever listened to another Barry Manilow song in my life...but this one's been stuck in my head for a while.



Happy Thursday!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home