(Less Than) One Month!

Tuesday marked the one month countdown until move-in day at college!! It really is crazy how fast the summer can go. Just the other day it seemed I had ages and ages to prepare, enjoy the summer and relax with my family. And then it hit me: I have just one more month until, really, everything changes. The pressure is on to make this count…but there’s so much to do!

(Some of) What Needs To Happen This Month:

  1. Set up a PO box. For the first time in my life, I will have a mailing address different from that of my parents! The application for it is very official-looking, too. Eventually I guess having a PO box will just mean yet another key for the lanyard, but I’m enjoying the idea of it while it is still exciting. :) 

  2. Find a way to use all those address labels that charities keep sending me. While we are on the topic of mail and all its fantastic intricacies, it has come to my attention that I have an enormous amount of address labels. You know you’ve entered the adult world when charities start sending you address labels. And while I’m absolutely flattered that Amnesty International and Toni Morrison think my address is worth printing onto dozens of little stickers, I can’t help but wonder when I am going to get a chance to use them all. And this makes me frustrated. Grrr.

  3. Read through all the Harry Potter books. I started the lovely projected of re-reading all the Harry Potter books way back in February and started off with some pretty consistent progress. By mid-March I was in the middle of the third book. And then things turned for the worst. Now, with just a couple more days of July left, I am still in the middle of the fourth. And seeing as there is less than a month of summer vacation left, I realize I may simply not have the time. But seeing as the last film just came out and the great big threat of not being able to take my Harry Potter books with me to college, I think I have more resolve than usual to check this off the list as soon as possible. But, like they always say: there are two sides to every stone. So with every ounce that it takes me to convince myself that I must. read. these. books., there is also something that I like to call Clinical Re-Reader’s Guilt. And this disorder is quite simple to understand: every moment you spend rereading a book is a moment less you have to enjoy a new book. Why read the fifth Harry Potter book when I could be settling down with Edith Wharton’s The House of Mirth or Stephen  Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower?

  4. Stampede through the first thirty pages of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Now, obviously I get it. Particularly in New York, if you haven’t read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yet, then you are so out of fashion that it is insulting to the American culture. But I insist: I bought this book at the height of its popularity a couple of years ago, thinking I’d finish it in no time. In fact, I bought it in an airport for the flight back home but seriously could not possibly get through the first 15 pages. Now, I’m hearing that it’s really the first 30 pages that are hard to get through, and then it picks up. So that’s on my to-do list: get through the first 30 pages. I’m assuming everything else will fall into place after that.

  5. Fill the blank pages of my current journal. I’m a sucker for the poetic symmetry of starting a brand new journal my first term in college. This is also necessary to do because I have so many empty journals waiting to be filled…a favorite being this journal package from Anthropologie.

  6. DRIVE. As much as I can. Because it could very well be ages before I get behind a steering wheel again. Seeing as I won’t have a car while in college. And also because I need to get over this new phobia of going in reverse. Also because if I don’t drive I might forget where the defroster buttons are.

  7. Google Map where I can buy laundry detergent. Note to self: don’t buy the individual packets of Tide that are only good for one load of laundry. Another note to self: Tide with Febreze is much better than Tide Original Scent.

  8. Knit something. Anything. I really do want to get this whole knitting thing down, but once I know how to do it, it can actually be a really relaxing thing to do. But alas two months of summer have already passed and I haven’t yet picked up the knitting needles. But I did make a couple of these adorable citrus coasters, which I am quite proud of. And they were quite easy to make, too….

  9. Stock up on shower gel. And razor blades. And Hello Kitty band-aids. Because I seriously do refuse to wear a typical band-aid when there are pink ones out there which are just as good.

  10. Solve the mystery of the abandoned water-proof camera. So that past week has actually been quite busy planning and preparing for my trip to Costa Rica. And one of the many things we’ve had to do was buy these disposable waterproof cameras. So, how crazy is it that the very week I had to go out and buy three disposable waterproof cameras, I actually find within the depths of the many storage bins in my bedroom an abandoned disposable waterproof camera! And it was used! But this leaves many questions: what pictures are on this camera? When in the past did I possibly find a need for a waterproof camera? I can’t for the life of me figure this one out. Which will make it all the more interested when I go have the film be developed. :)


 

More later.

xx Marisol
/* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Friday, July 29, 2011

(Less Than) One Month!

Tuesday marked the one month countdown until move-in day at college!! It really is crazy how fast the summer can go. Just the other day it seemed I had ages and ages to prepare, enjoy the summer and relax with my family. And then it hit me: I have just one more month until, really, everything changes. The pressure is on to make this count…but there’s so much to do!

(Some of) What Needs To Happen This Month:

  1. Set up a PO box. For the first time in my life, I will have a mailing address different from that of my parents! The application for it is very official-looking, too. Eventually I guess having a PO box will just mean yet another key for the lanyard, but I’m enjoying the idea of it while it is still exciting. :) 

  2. Find a way to use all those address labels that charities keep sending me. While we are on the topic of mail and all its fantastic intricacies, it has come to my attention that I have an enormous amount of address labels. You know you’ve entered the adult world when charities start sending you address labels. And while I’m absolutely flattered that Amnesty International and Toni Morrison think my address is worth printing onto dozens of little stickers, I can’t help but wonder when I am going to get a chance to use them all. And this makes me frustrated. Grrr.

  3. Read through all the Harry Potter books. I started the lovely projected of re-reading all the Harry Potter books way back in February and started off with some pretty consistent progress. By mid-March I was in the middle of the third book. And then things turned for the worst. Now, with just a couple more days of July left, I am still in the middle of the fourth. And seeing as there is less than a month of summer vacation left, I realize I may simply not have the time. But seeing as the last film just came out and the great big threat of not being able to take my Harry Potter books with me to college, I think I have more resolve than usual to check this off the list as soon as possible. But, like they always say: there are two sides to every stone. So with every ounce that it takes me to convince myself that I must. read. these. books., there is also something that I like to call Clinical Re-Reader’s Guilt. And this disorder is quite simple to understand: every moment you spend rereading a book is a moment less you have to enjoy a new book. Why read the fifth Harry Potter book when I could be settling down with Edith Wharton’s The House of Mirth or Stephen  Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower?

  4. Stampede through the first thirty pages of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Now, obviously I get it. Particularly in New York, if you haven’t read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yet, then you are so out of fashion that it is insulting to the American culture. But I insist: I bought this book at the height of its popularity a couple of years ago, thinking I’d finish it in no time. In fact, I bought it in an airport for the flight back home but seriously could not possibly get through the first 15 pages. Now, I’m hearing that it’s really the first 30 pages that are hard to get through, and then it picks up. So that’s on my to-do list: get through the first 30 pages. I’m assuming everything else will fall into place after that.

  5. Fill the blank pages of my current journal. I’m a sucker for the poetic symmetry of starting a brand new journal my first term in college. This is also necessary to do because I have so many empty journals waiting to be filled…a favorite being this journal package from Anthropologie.

  6. DRIVE. As much as I can. Because it could very well be ages before I get behind a steering wheel again. Seeing as I won’t have a car while in college. And also because I need to get over this new phobia of going in reverse. Also because if I don’t drive I might forget where the defroster buttons are.

  7. Google Map where I can buy laundry detergent. Note to self: don’t buy the individual packets of Tide that are only good for one load of laundry. Another note to self: Tide with Febreze is much better than Tide Original Scent.

  8. Knit something. Anything. I really do want to get this whole knitting thing down, but once I know how to do it, it can actually be a really relaxing thing to do. But alas two months of summer have already passed and I haven’t yet picked up the knitting needles. But I did make a couple of these adorable citrus coasters, which I am quite proud of. And they were quite easy to make, too….

  9. Stock up on shower gel. And razor blades. And Hello Kitty band-aids. Because I seriously do refuse to wear a typical band-aid when there are pink ones out there which are just as good.

  10. Solve the mystery of the abandoned water-proof camera. So that past week has actually been quite busy planning and preparing for my trip to Costa Rica. And one of the many things we’ve had to do was buy these disposable waterproof cameras. So, how crazy is it that the very week I had to go out and buy three disposable waterproof cameras, I actually find within the depths of the many storage bins in my bedroom an abandoned disposable waterproof camera! And it was used! But this leaves many questions: what pictures are on this camera? When in the past did I possibly find a need for a waterproof camera? I can’t for the life of me figure this one out. Which will make it all the more interested when I go have the film be developed. :)


 

More later.

xx Marisol

2 Comments:

At July 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM , Anonymous mswendyday said...

Just wanted to say that I've been reading your blog for a while and thought you'd appreciate a comment. (:

I loved this post, and I definitely know where you're coming from when you talk about rereading books. I have a habit of doing that a lot, and at times I feel guilty for that very reason--but I can't stop!

Good luck in accomplishing all of the above. :D

 
At August 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM , Anonymous Marisol said...

oh you just made me the happiest person in the world! and I love your blog! I’ve whiled away about an hour just reading through your posts… :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home